Registration for June workshops is now open
Registration is now open for June 8th's workshop Responding to the Opioid Epidemic: How did we get here and how do we get out?.
In response to report of school shooting in St. Mary¡¯s County.
The Board of Directors of the Maryland Psychological Association express our deepest sympathies to those impacted by this morning¡¯s shooting at Great Mills High School in St. Mary¡¯s County. We are working with Maryland Association of School Psychologists and other partner organizations to determine how best to support our colleagues and their communities during this difficult time. In the meantime, below are resources to share as we deal with this all too familiar tragedy.
- Helping your children manage distress in the aftermath of a shooting
- Managing your distress in the aftermath of a shooting
- How to talk to children about difficult news and tragedies
- How much news coverage is ok for children?
- Talking to kids when they need help
- APA's Advocacy page on gun violence
- Help for parents and teachers
- The Road to Resilience
- National Associaton of School Psychologists' School Safety & Crisis resource list
- How to Talk to Our Kids about the Tragic Shootings in Louisiana, Minnesota and Dallas
- 7 Ways to Talk to Children and Youth about the Shootings in Orlando
MPA's Committment to Justice and Advocacy
The Maryland Psychological Association Board of Directors acknowledges the many colleagues who have been and/or have encountered clients, students, or colleagues who have been profoundly affected by the divisive events of the last several months in this country. The APA Code of Ethics states that we should work to, "minimize harm wherever it is unforeseeable and unavoidable". As psychologists, we not only advocate for the use of psychological science for the creation of policies that promote public good - particularly for those who, due to their identities, are disenfranchised and marginalized - but we do not stand idly by while science is misused or ignored to further marginalize disenfranchised groups. Click here for full statement.